Saturday, May 10, 2008

Dialog - to Tag or Not to Tag


To Tag or Not to Tag

There is a lot of debate about whether to use or not use dialog tags. Dialog without some indication of the speaker is confusing and the common comment is that dialog without action is boring. As creative fantasy writers, we take this perspective into consideration as we work. But even with this, don't go extreme. Hold on to your writer's voice and follow this ancient rule of thumb, 'all things in moderation.'

Drawing your reader into your fictional world is as easy as using the descriptions you have generated, while extending your ability to show not tell.

Compare these examples.
"You have it all worked out then. To survive I must escape your hunters?"
"You have one chance to leave this world. You can use it how you will."
"This is how you would help me? Gods give me strength. I will stay alive. More than that, I cannot do."
"More than that, we cannot ask."

Add Dialog Tags to Avoid Confusion

"You have it all worked out then," Caleath said. "To survive I must escape your hunters?"

"You have one chance to leave this world," the old mage said. "You can use it how you will."

"This is how you would help me?" Caleath said. "Gods give me strength. I will stay alive. More than that, I cannot do."

"More than that, we cannot ask."

Involve the reader:

"You have it all worked out then." Caleath raked his hands through his hair and peered into the shadows with increasing anguish. "To survive I must escape your hunters?" He gestured with raised hands.

"You have one chance to leave this world." Bitterness sharpened the old mage's voice. "You can use it how you will."

Caleath could almost believe the mage regretted needing to make such an agreement. "This is how you would help me?" Caleath's voice was no more than a whisper. "Gods give me strength. I will stay alive." He moved to his feet and paced like a caged cat. He wanted to shake the old man until his teeth rattled. Instead, he sighed with resignation. "More than that, I cannot do."

"More than that, we cannot ask."

No comments: